If you are thinking about getting any kind of cosmetic procedure done, it’s important to realize that not all surgeons are alike. Some of different specialties and others may not be as qualified as their marketing messages portray. Consider these tips when researching to find your potential plastic surgeon.
- Make sure the surgeon is board certified.
Surgeons that are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are specially trained and have been proven to provide not only the best patient care, but also the lowest rates of complications – which is definitely important!
Never assume that all physicians claiming to be board certified have the same training, either. A plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery has earned a degree from an accreditied medical school, has completed three years of general surgery, has completed at least two years of supervised residency in plastic surgery, has at least two years of professional practice and has passed the written and oral exams.
- Check your surgeon’s record.
Take the time to track down your state’s medical board and inquire about any disciplinary actions against your potential surgeon. Pay close attention to any settlements. Also check to make sure your surgeon is licensed to practice medicine in the state.
- Come with questions for the plastic surgeon.
Make sure you’ve done your research about the procedure and that you have questions specific to what is being done. Some other general questions are:
- What are the number of times you have performed this procedure and how long have you been doing it?
- What other procedures do you do?
- What is involved in the procedure?
- What is the recovery time?
- Can I see before and after photos of patients as well as reference patients?
- Will I be sedated and how long will it last?
- What realistic results can I expect?
- What are the potential complications and what should I watch for?
- What is the breakdown of fees?
Always do research when considering a plastic surgeon. Thanks to the internet, you can actually find out a lot about your surgeon by reading reviews online. And remember, choosing the right plastic surgeon not only affects your overall health and safety, but also the quality of the results. Choosing a poor plastic surgeon can have long-lasting, possibly permanent affects, on your life. You definitely want to choose wisely.
If you are located in the Tampa area and want to learn more about what we have to offer or to talk to our staff about a procedure you’re considering, contact us today. We are happy to answer any and all questions you may have.